LIFE EXPERIENCES FROM MY SPIRITUAL JOURNEY



MARKED
I'm marked!
I'm marked by God's clear hand!
He signed His name on me.
His autograph of Love reveals ...
My true Identity.


My finger prints, each tiny hair,
Set me somehow apart.
I am not like another soul
I have no counterpart.

He made me as I am because
He wanted me this way
A product of His workmanship
His image to portray.

I stand amazed that He who made
The universe and all
Should care so much! I'm only Me!
And Oh, I feel so small.

When I consider all His mind
Has authored and decreed
To think He loves me as I am
And sees me in my need.

But Oh, He does! He really does!
He signed His name on me!
His marks of ownership reveal
My true identity.
      by Mary Mason



As for the days of our life, they contain seventy years, Or if due to strength, eighty years, Yet their pride is but labor and sorrow; For soon it is gone and we fly away. Psalm 90:10

When I was around five my mother had an accident with me and my sister in the vehicle. I just recently recalled this incident so thought I'd share it.


We were in a truck and the roads were snowy and slushy. Mom lost control and started sliding, then we went over an embankment. We would have landed in a river had it not been for one back tire catching on a guard rail.

When taken to the doctor to be checked physically after the accident he found that I had a heart murmur. It was watch all my life and even if I go to a dentist to this day they have me take penicillin before they will work on my teeth.

When I was around thirteen a doctor wanted to do open heart surgery. My mother refused the risk. Her faith and God's hands are still upon my life and I am very thankful to both of them.

Toward the end of this year I hope to turn seventy-- I have "walked through the valley of the shadow of death" (Psalms 23) many times by her faith and prayers over me and by God's loving protection that has never left me.

Psalms 139:16
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them.

James 4:14
Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.

So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts into wisdom. Psalms 90:12



When I left high school one of my first jobs was in a bus depot (it was also a cafĂ©/coffee shop where local business men gathered) -- many a poor man (wino, apple-knocker, hobo, bum) with a kind heart I have had the pleasure of chatting with -- (amazingly they were often extremely bright and well educated) some had been overtaken in life by depression or drinking or sorrow over a divorce or death or business failure. I saw out the front window one day a man fall and I shouted for someone to go check on him-- not one business man moved -- I remember saying "get your own darn coffee" and walked out to care for the man -- He had a heart attack and died right there; I was too late or not knowledgeable enough to save him before he was gone to his eternal rewards (some experiences just never leave us because they are visitations I believe from ANGELS UNAWARE).

The hardness of those business men's hearts never has left me either -- I think HE WAS A TEST for them and me to soften hearts. In my view there was no brave hearted hero to be found that day and I wonder if there could have been had someone done CPR? I do hope God gave those businessmen more opportunities to respond in kindness to humans in need somewhere down the road! Many times I too have wrongfully judged and hardened my heart at times out of ignorance and lack of knowledge or compassion. Help us all to Love as you Love Lord!

Hebrews 13:2
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.




When I was 18 I went to beauty school with my 1 1/2 year older sister. I was then a made-up bleached platinum blond person. I hated it! You always had to stay on top of it with polishing nails, plucking eyebrows, etc.
I've leaned that ladies are vain and beauty can't be bought.
Through my aging process, I've learned to accept myself along with all my warts, gray hair, and wrinkles and (now at 70 years old) I also know what the Bible said is so very true "Vanity of vanities, vanity of vanities; all is vanity."
I've learned to watch for the natural eye twinkles to really tell me what's going on in myself and others.
And as Matthew 6 says, "“The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!"
I've learned that people who look at outside appearances and judge others by current beauty trends usually aren't really true friends after all and that they are inclined to abandon others when the storms and trials of life come for fear they will have to deal with taking off their own mask and accept themselves just as they are, not as they or others wish them to be.



Marie Brown, my homeless friend.

I remember Marie so well -- I found her out of concern when I saw this old beat up vehicle continually parked at the old Pamida parking lot.

One day I saw her out of the car & decided to stop and check on her. She was delightful. She had come from Seattle to enjoy our summer and scenery. She had chosen to live a homeless life because she had a dog and cat and wanted to travel but couldn't afford housing too; so her vehicle became her home.

Gradually we became better and better friends. She attended church with me and shared her many strange stories with me. As she traveled she always told people she was writing a book and doing a study on homelessness -- the truth was she had cancer and didn't want to be institute bound.

She was wise with her funds from Social Security and ate well. Daily she went to Super One just as the deli was closing because they then sold everything for half price. Once I had baked her an apple pie and she insisted we go into Super One and eat it there so she could introduce me to the wonderful ladies at the deli who were always so kind to her. And yes they were kind, they provided us with plates and forks to eat the pie since we were buying ice cream to go on top.

One time I flew to see my friend Midge in Seattle and she even came to the airport to visit me and meet my friend.

I enjoyed her company 3 summers in a row then one day she never returned. She had called me many times from Seattle area to let me know her cancer had progressed and she was living until death with her animals in someone's camper in a back yard near Tacoma.

She was rough around the edges, but truly a sweet sister in Christ.

I've never looked at the homeless the same since being blessed by her inspiration and joy for living life to the fullest.




When I was around 27 I lived in Seattle and although raised in a Christian home I was searching to know that I really knew there was a God. A young man we were friends with had committed suicide and it really devastated me spiritually.

I was not poor I was a business manager in Northgate Mall -- but each Sunday I deliberately dressed like I was poor and went from church to church hoping to feel accepted and loved. It was difficult to see the ugly hearts turn ...from me (especially the pastors) -- but I came to one called the Philadelphia Church (Ballard) and I was over come by the love of God flowing there-- I only attended once -- but then read the complete New Testament (my sister had given me for Christmas) I found truth in Christ and I never again was looking to people's acceptance but to God's -- I had forgotten this part of my journey long ago but now I need to take time to send a little note to thank that church for making a difference in my life just by their kind welcome when I walked into their church back in 1972!

I left Seattle in 1975 a better person because of a simple true kind welcome in my searching years. The same Holy Spirit they had was imparted to me at that visit that has never left me.

Favoritism Forbidden James 2: 1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? 5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong? 8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,” also said, “You shall not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. 12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.



When I was in the 5th grade I lived in Spokane.

My older sister (who's husband was in the military and stationed in Germany) came to live with us along with her 3 children, she cared me and 3 of my siblings..

Mom had given birth to our youngest brother, he was what they called a Blue Baby and the doctors were concerned that neither Mom nor him would live.
Mom took him and 3 other siblings and they went to in Montana with Dad while he was logging there.

I had always been insecure and held tight to my Mom's apron strings, as I sucked my thumb and twirled my hair, I never let her out of my site.

I was sad and depressed and missed her a lot -- one day I had this plan -- if I could find my way to the train depot they would surely allow me to ride free to find my Mom in Montana. Talk about the faith of a child!
I started walking toward downtown where the train depot is and a police car with two officers pulled over to talk to me about where I was going and what I was doing out alone.
I told them my plan and that I didn't want to live with my big sister anymore.
They said if I got into the car they would see what they could do to get me to my Mom.

What they did or how they contacted my Mom or my sister I do not know.
The only thing I know is they took me to juvenile detention and I was kept there for several days until my Mother could arrive and get me out.

I was locked up! I cried all night every night and was so scared and alone (it's so real even as I write this tears begin to fall).

The people were really nice to me there (especially the older children there) as I certainly was the youngest they'd ever encountered.
There was a classroom and so during the day I was in there doing school work.
The food was good and they did give me snacks in my cell at night.

I don't remember details of being picked up or anything after coming home -- I think no one ever spoke of it again (unless behind my back). I always felt really bad considering the financial costs for my Mom coming all the way from Montana and health risk to her & my brother while their health was fragile. And of course my sister must have been frantic when I ran away and she was looking for me.

I was always an independent thinking little brat. Likely would be called Oppositional Defiant in this generation.

What I do know from the experience is that I have always had a heart of compassion for anyone locked up for any reason -- and yes I do think lock-up helped me and has helped many people by protecting us from our self and our bad decisions.

My Mom nor my brother died they became healthier once again  -- life went on my sister, went to Germany to be with her husband, and we all moved to Montana with our parents.

I know God was watching over me and still is with His grace, mercy, and love.

I wrote this poem a few years back birthed from that experience in my life's journey.

INNER MAN
Inner man within that jail
Open up
Your heart is no cell.

Inner man within that jail
You have tasted
Satan's hell.

Inner man within that jail
Receive His hands
Pierced and bloody
by a nail.

Inner man within that jail
He did it all
He paid your bail.

Inner man within that jail
No cop, no bars, no lockup
Can make you fail.

Inner man within that jail
The gospel is the way I tell.
The gates of hell shall not prevail.

Inner man within that jail
One day -- heaven bound
We all shall sail.

Inner man within that jail
Receive this truth
by Holy Spirit mail.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Disclosure: Much of what is in my posts are things I have compiled through the years and I do not know if they have copyrights. What I do know about origin or website I give credit and have tried to always post a link to the origin. I do not market anything in any way on this blog -- I merely hope it will encourage and inspire others.

No comments: