The Speaking Gifts: PASTOR/TEACHERS, PROPHECY, EXHORTATION, WORD OF WISDOM, WORD OF KNOWLEDGE




The Speaking Gifts:
PASTOR/TEACHERS, PROPHECY,
EXHORTATION, WORD OF WISDOM, WORD OF KNOWLEDGE
Ephesians 4:11-13
“And He gave some… as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.”
PASTOR/TEACHERS (Greek = Pastor = Poimenas / Teacher = Didasko) – Elders/Bishops (Local Church)
Peter 1 Peter 5:1
Church at Antioch Acts 13:1
Church at Corinth 1 Corinthians 12:28
Every Church Acts 14:23
Every City Titus 1:5
Church of Jerusalem Acts 15:4, 23
Church of Ephesus Acts 20:17, 28
Church of Philippi Philippians 1:1-2
John II John 1, III John 1
Bishop/Elder/Overseer: 1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9
Deacon: Acts 6:3, 1 Timothy 3:8-13
Deaconess: Romans 16:2, 1 Timothy 3:11
PROPHECY (Greek = Propheteian)
Romans 12:6-7
“Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith;”
2 Peter 1:20-21 “But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.”
2 Timothy 3:16-17 “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.”
Revelation 22:18-19 “I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.”
1 Corinthians 14:3-4 “But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.”
2 Peter 2:1-3 “But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves. 2 Many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned; 3 and in their greed they will exploit you with false words; their judgment from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.”
Romans 12:6 “Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith;”
1 Thessalonians 5:19-22 “Do not quench the Spirit; do not despise prophetic utterances. But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil.”
Acts 17:1 “Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica (Berea), for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.”
1 Corinthians 14:29-33 “Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others pass judgment. But if a revelation is made to another who is seated, the first one must keep silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all may be exhorted; and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets; for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.”
PASTOR (Greek = Poimen)
1 Timothy 5:17-18 “The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching.”
1 Peter 5:1-2 “Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder (presbuteros) and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed, shepherd (poimaino) the flock of God among you, exercising oversight (episkopeo) not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness;”
Acts 20:17, 28
“From Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called to him the elders (presbuteros) of the church. 18 And when they had come to him, he said to them,… “Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers (episkopeo), to shepherd (poimaino) the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.
Determine the process of governing the local church body. (Acts 15:22)
Oversee the local church body. (Acts 20:28)
Ordain others in the local church body. (1 Timothy 4:14)
Rule, teach and preach. (1 Timothy 5:17)
Exhort members in the body as well as refute false doctrine. (Titus 1:9)
Act as shepherds, setting an example for all to follow. (1 Peter 5:1-3)
Pray for those who are in need. (James 5:14)
John 14:26-27 “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.”
TEACHING (Greek = Didaskon) (Instructor)
Romans 12:6-7 “Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: …he who teaches, in his teaching…”
1 Corinthians 12:27-28 “Now you are Christ’s body, and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church,… teachers,”
Hebrews 5:12-14 “For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. Everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant. But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.”
Matthew 28:19-20 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you;”
2 Timothy 4:2-4 “…preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.”
Acts 18:24-28 “Now a Jew named Apollos, an Alexandrian by birth, an eloquent man, came to Ephesus; and he was mighty in the Scriptures. This man had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he was speaking and teaching accurately the things concerning Jesus, being acquainted only with the baptism of John; and he began to speak out boldly in the synagogue. But when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately. And when he wanted to go across to Achaia, the brethren encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him; and when he had arrived, he greatly helped those who had believed through grace, for he powerfully refuted the Jews in public, demonstrating by the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ.”


EXHORTATION (Greek = Paraklesei) (Counselor)
Romans 12:6-8 ” Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: …he who exhorts, in his exhortation;
Romans 15:4 “For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.”
1. “As a father…” would counsel his children. (1 Thessalonians 2:11)
2. “With patience…” for all concerned. (1 Thessalonians 5:14)
3. “With teaching…” from God’s Word. (2 Timothy 4:2)
4. “With authority…” which comes from the Holy Spirit as He leads you in lovingly exhorting others.
(Titus 2:15)
WORD OF WISDOM (Greek = Logos Sophias) (Something said concerning high spiritual doctrine)
1 Corinthians 12:8 “For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit,”
Acts 6:10 “But they were unable to cope with the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking.”
WORD OF KNOWLEDGE (Greek = Logos Gnoseos) (Something said concerning true spiritual knowledge)
1 Corinthians 12:8 “and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;”
Colossians 1:9 “For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,”
1 Corinthians 8:1 “…we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies.”
1 Timothy 1:5-6 “But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.”



 
The Arm!
By Michael K. Farrar, O.D.
© God’s Breath Publications

Once in college, I had a very strange and frightening experience one night. I had gone to bed and was having a pretty good night sleep as far as I could tell. For some reason, I came out of my deep sleep and was in that zone which lies between subtle awareness and unconscious sleep. I seemed to be aware that I was in bed, but there was something odd. I wasn’t sure why I felt uncomfortable, but as I moved my hand into a more comfortable position, I felt something! I was semi‑awake and in my stupor attempted to determine what I had brushed up against with my hand. It was soft and smooth and somewhat warm. As I carefully moved my hand against the object, I noticed that it was elongated, somewhat like an arm…. AN ARM!!!! I froze. Was there someone in bed with me? I attempted to gather my wits as best I could, still being groggy from sleep. I was afraid to move for possibly if I did, I might awaken whoever was in bed with me, assuming they were alive. I lay there for several minutes trying to determine what to do. I decided the only thing I could do, was to jump out of bed and confront the intruder. I purposed in my mind how I would do this without getting tangled in the blankets and falling on my face. I visualized the process and then made my move. I jumped out of bed, all 200 lbs 6’4” of me. I turned in mid‑air as only James Bond could do and looked into the bed to determine who my midnight visitor was.
As I stood there in the middle of the room, I saw no one in the bed. Then I noticed a strange thing, my left arm was dangling by my side, limp. I couldn’t move it and reached over with my right arm to grasp the smooth, soft, elongated appendage. All of a sudden I felt a tingling sensation in my “dead” arm. It had fallen asleep and had masqueraded as my unknown bedfellow.
Well you might ask what the moral of this embarrassing story is. Scripture makes analogies between the Body of Christ and the human body. It says in I Corinthians 12:25‑26 that, “There should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.” Just as my arm had gone asleep and ceased its ability to function, sometimes members of our own Church Body fall asleep spiritually and cease to use their talents and spiritual gifts. When this happens we all suffer. If my arm had remained asleep, I could basically be classified as a one‑armed man and handicapped. I would be unable to do many things that I enjoy and would have to compensate with much work to overcome such impairment. My whole body would pay the cost of the loss of a single arm. Do you see how important it is for us all, in the Body of Christ, to seek to serve one another and glorify our Father, by using our talents and gifts.

I Corinthians goes on to say in chapter 12, “There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.” It goes on to say in the same chapter, “All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines. The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.”
We all are vitally important! Some gifts may not have the appearance of importance, but anything God distributes as a gift in His church Body is needed to keep His church healthy and thriving.
Are you a soft, smooth, elongated appendage that has fallen asleep and serves no useful function? Are you a strong, vibrant, active member of the Body of Christ, anxious to serve your Lord and Savior as well as your fellow saint?

I hope you are the latter for the sake of the Body of Christ!

Disclosure: Much of what is in my posts are things I have compiled through the years and I do not know if they have copyrights. What I do know about origin or website I give credit and have tried to always post a link to the origin. I do not market anything in any way on this blog -- I merely hope it will encourage and inspire others.

No comments: