THE BIBLE -- HOW READEST THOU?




HOW READEST THOU?
‘Tis one thing friend, to read the Bible through
Another thing to read, to learn to do.
‘Tis one thing, too, to read it with delight
And quite another thing to read it right.
Some read it with design to learn to read,
But to the subject pay but little heed;
Some read it as their duty once a week,
But no instruction from the Bible seek.
Some read to bring themselves into repute,
By showing others how they can dispute;
While others read because their neighbors do,
To see how long ’twill take to read it through.
Some read the blessed Book, they know not why—-
It sometimes happens in the way to lie;
While others read it with uncommon care;
But all to find some contradiction there.
One reads with father’s specs’ upon his head,
And sees the things just as his father did;
Another reads through Luther, Wesley, and Scott,
And thinks it means just what they thought.
Some read to prove a pre-adopted creed,
Thus understanding little that they read;
And every passage in the Book they bend
To make it suit that all-important end.
Some people read, as I have often thought,
To teach the Book, instead of being taught.
Abilene Christian College Lectures, 1919, F.L. Rowe, Publisher, Cincinnati, OH, p. 125-26, in the lecture from G. Dallas Smith, entitled: “How to Study the Bible.”

Kitty Wells Dust On The Bible YouTube



http://www.tracts.ukgo.com/ryle_how_readest_thou.pdf 

This is a link to the full 43 page book 
BY THE REV. J. C. RYLE, B.A., from 1853. 

“How Readest Thou?” “What is written in the law? How readest thou?” LUKE X. 26. READER, The question before your eyes is 1800 years old. It was asked by our Lord Jesus Christ. It was asked concerning the Bible. I invite you to consider this question. I warn you, it is just as mighty and important now as it was on the day when it came from our Lord’s lips. I want to apply it to the conscience of everyone who reads this tract, and to knock at the door of his heart. I would fain sound a trumpet in the ear of everyone who speaks English, and cry aloud, “How readest thou? Dost thou read the Bible?” Why do I hold this question to be of such mighty importance? Why do I press it on the notice of every man, as a matter of life and death? Give me your attention for a few minutes, and you shall see. Follow me through the pages of this tract, and you shall hear why I ask, “HOW READEST THOU?—DOST THOU READ THE BIBLE?” 


Disclosure: Much of what is in my posts are things I have compiled through the years and I do not know if they have copyrights. What I do know about origin or website I have tried to always post a link to the origin. I do not market anything in any way on this blog -- I merely hope it will encourage and inspire others.

No comments: